A Brief History of the Community Woman's Club of Cocoa
A group of local women founded the Community Woman's Club (CWC) in June, 1922. They joined the Federation of Women's Clubs the same year. Dues were $2.00 a year and meetings were in private homes. These ladies were instrumental in starting the Cocoa Public Library, Wuesthoff hospital, causing a cleanup of the local jail, sponsoring the local girl scouts, and aiding in highway and city beautification. In recent years, members of the club formed the "Friends of Liberty" to continue supporting literacy.
During the war years, they worked with the Red Cross, sold war stamps and war bonds, helped distribute ration cards, helped plan ways to conserve gas and aided in the National War Fund Drive.
In 1963, they purchased the current clubhouse and after renovations, began using the building for meetings in 1966.
CWC has been active in supporting the Laubach Reading Program, Brailing for the Blind, the Brevard Museum, Community Theater, the Brevard Community College Planetarium, Domestic Violence/Spouse Abuse, Central Brevard Art Association, Space Coast Pops, the Brevard Symphony and the Sharing Center and many, many more.
For many years, the Club has offered a College Scholarship for young women, and has adopted Cambridge Elementary School.
Friends are the flowers in the garden of life, cultivate often
Purple and white